Known simply as “Flip,” Guiseppe Filippelli served for over 25 years as a swimming official representing Canada at Olympic Games competitions, where he was everything from deck official to competition referee. As a member of the Amateur Swimming Union of the Americas Board for the past 30 years and as 12 year member of FINA’s Technical
Swimming Committee, he has always had a helping hand in organizing swimming in the Americas and around the world. Along with his credentials as listed above in “For the Record,” Flip served in leadership positions at Lakeside and Pointe Claire Swim Clubs (1969-1970), Canadian Dolphin Swim Club (Director 1971-1991), 1973 Canada Games
Swimming Venue Manager, CASA British Columbia Section Officer (1977-present) and has participated in numerous Swimming Canada committees over the years.
During his involvement in swimming, Flip received several awards including Swimming Canada Administrator of the Year, Air Canada Executive of the Year (1990), Swimming Canada’s Presidents Award (1997), FINA Silver Pin and the Olympic Ring—only the second volunteer to gain this honor.
FOR THE RECORD:
- OFFICIAL AT FIVE OLYMPIC GAMES: 1984 (Clerk Assistant), 1988, 1992 (Deck Official), 1996 (Women’s Referee), 2000 (Official);
- OFFICIAL AT THREE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS: 1982, 1990, 1998 (Deck Official);
- 1978 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP: Head of Delegation; 1986 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP: Chef de Mission;
- OFFICIAL AT SIX COMMONWEALTH GAMES: 1978, 1982, 1986, 1990, 1994, 1998 (Referee 1986, 1990);
- OFFICIAL AT SIX PAN AMERICAN GAMES: 1979, 1983, 1987, 1991, 1995, 1999 (Referee in 1987, 1991, 1995);
- MEMBER/DIRECTOR ASUA: 1979 to present;
- PRESIDENT AQUATIC FEDERATION OF CANADA: 1982-1986;
- FINA TECHNICAL SWIMMING COMMITTEE MEMBER: 1988-2000;
- ASUA MEMBER: 1979 to present;
- SWIMMING CANADA COMMITTEES MEMBER: 1989 to present.