How to apply for the Victor Davis Memorial Fund?
Victor Davis left an invaluable legacy to amateur sport in Canada: the legacy of his character. Character built on commitment, intensity, discipline, effort, desire. Character that creates champions. Victor was a champion, a world record holder, an Olympic gold medalist.
The Victor Davis Memorial Fund was established to remember Victor, his contribution to competitive swimming in Canada, and to encourage other young Canadians toward excellence. Each year awards may be made from the Fund to promising, high performance Canadian amateur swimmers to assist them to continue their training, education, and pursuit of medals at the international level of competition.
- Open to all competitive amateur swimmers registered with Swimming/Natation Canada.
- Applicants must have recorded a national qualifying time or better (long course) during the twelve months ending within in the application period.
- Applicants applying for support from the Victor Davis Memorial Fund must be Senior National Qualifiers, display outstanding potential and financial need.
- Applicants must intend to further their education and continue to swim competitively.
- Applicants not meeting the above eligibility requirements, but for some unusual circumstances feel they should be considered, may apply for an award. Such an application must include a written request explaining the “unusual circumstances”.
- Preference will be given to those athletes who swim fast in multi-events or multidistances.
- Applications will be accepted by the Award Committee during the application period (July 1 to October 31) of each year. Applications will not be accepted at other times. The application form in this brochure may be copied freely for the purpose of making application.
- A completed application form must be forwarded to the Award Committee at the address indicated thereon to be received by the committee during the application period.
- All applications, the information contained therein, and the proceedings of the Award Committee will be strictly confidential.
- The Award Committee will meet annually following the application period to review applications and determine the disposition of awards and amounts.
- Successful applicants will be notified of their awards, amounts and payment schedule by the Award Committee.
- The number of awards, the amount of each award and payment schedule will be made at the discretion of the Award Committee and will be determined by the funds available in any year, the number of successful applicants, and an assessment by the committee of the need of each individual applicant.
- At least one award will be made each year.
- The Award Committee may, at its discretion, publish a list of award recipients.
- Awards will apply for a term of one year commencing January 1 each year.
- Awards may be renewed for additional years. Award renewals are not automatic. Applications must be submitted each year during the application period.
- Decisions of the Award Committee are final, and not subject to any right of appeal. Unsuccessful applicants may reapply the following year without restriction.
The members of the Victor Davis Memorial Fund Directorate will serve as the Award Committee. Members of the directorate are:
- Mr. Mel Davis, father of Victor Davis
- Mr. Chris Bowie, former SNC board member
- Mr. Ken McKinnon, National Development Coach, Swimming Canada
- Mr. Dean Boles, CEO, Swim Ontario